Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Another New Year's Eve

To tell you the truth, I really do not have much to say in this post. But, I started this blog on New Year's Day, the first day of 2008, and so it only seems appropriate to write something on this new Year's Eve, the last day of the year.

This should come as no surprise, since much of my blogging seems to be nothing more than public complaining, but I really do not like NYE. And, I never have. It is probably my least favorite holiday, and there are many holidays of which I am not particularly fond.

Why don't I like New Year's Eve? I suppose I could come up with many reasons. Like Valentine's Day, I am usually alone when the clock strikes mid-night. And, on those occassions when I had sort of a special person in my life, she was usually kissing someone else at the turn of the year. But, that is an extremely petty reason which really holds no significant place in my life anymore. This year I am lucky enough to truly have a special someone in my life, but she is working tonight and I am sitting home, watching football, surfing the net and playing game after game of FreeCell on my computer. But, really, I am more than OK with that. So, that is not the reason for my disliking this night, either.

I think when I cut through everything and do all of my self psycho-analysis the real reason I do not like NYE is because I am an emotioanl pack-rat. I just do not like to let go of things, even when those things may not be particularly good. I just always hate to see the year end. I think I have always been that way.

A lot of people will find a lot of things not to like about 2008. I suppose I could, too. Gas prices were high, the Cubs blew another chance, the economy tanked. There is probably more -- probably some real big stuff that I am forgetting. But, I think I have been blessed with a pretty short memory for bad things. That is kind of strange for someone who can be a real downer at times.

Oh well, I think I could start rambling, and there is no grace in that. Nor do I want to get nostalgiac. That is not particulary attractive, either. But, I will tend to remember the good things about this past year. I wrote a few songs in the early part of the year and had a few satisfying shows that proved to be a lot of fun. Terry, my golf partner, and I won our division in the golf league this year. My list of outdoor critters that I feed has exploded -- at least 5 cats, 2 VERY FAT racoons, an oppossum, 4 regular squirrels, at least one little red tree squirrel and a gazzilion birds -- Cardinals, Blue Jays, at least 2 varieties of woodpeckers, and now, in the winter -- snowbirds.

Barack Obama was elected president. That is really, really good. Because he is our first African-American president? No, not really. Just because he seems to be an intelligent man of vision. If he accomplishes nothing else in his term as president, for a moment, at least, he has given us hope. And, after 8 incredibly disastrous years under GW Bush, that is no mean feat.

It is now 9:45. I have had a chocolate bourbon ball -- a type of candy that my son's mother-in-law makes. That will be my alcohol for the night. I will make it to mid-night, only because my girlfriend is supposed to call me from work at that time. And to the rest of you: "Happy New Year!"

Just don't be too hard on 2008. It did the best it could.

3 comments:

goooooood girl said...

your blog is very fine......

Kr said...

Happy New Year! Glad to see a post here. Lots to think about, for sure. I've never been a big fan of NYE either, as it always seemed too often to be an excuse for folks to drink too much.

I do still cry during Auld Lang Syne ~ pretty much every time, even if I hear it in July.

SBCatMan said...

Kr, I agree with you about Auld Lang Syne. I heard it suggested one time that "Red River Valley" is the saddest song ever written, and maybe it is. But "Auld Lang Syne" is right up there with it.